Our volunteer programme
*Urgent vacancy for a housing or public law lawyer beginning in May*
We are currently recruiting volunteers to support our clients and their housing, immigration and compensation casework. We are at the forefront of the vital and fast-moving area of trafficking, bringing high profile strategic challenges that shape the way the law develops.
Our volunteers make a huge contribution to our work and we offer exceptional opportunities and experience to the right candidates. We have a mentoring scheme and are often able to arrange free professional training for our volunteers. Our casework varies from first tier tribunals to the Supreme Court which gives our volunteers the opportunity to attend hearings in a range of jurisdictions.
We have a proven track record in working with volunteers over many years including students and those who are legally qualified. As one of our volunteers, you would have the opportunity to support our casework by assisting our lawyers in all aspects of case management including drafting witness statements, client meetings, liaising with support providers and local authorities, research, preparing legal bundles, filing and attending at court and tribunal. You would also help with reception and message taking, data entry and other general office duties. As so many of our volunteers go on to employment, we now need to recruit again.
We currently have vacancies for:
- Housing or public lawyers, especially if you have some experience of assisting a housing caseworker on social housing legal aid casework
- Lawyers and/or those with good legal background, particularly if you have worked in employment or immigration or have litigation experience
- Lawyer's assistants if you're a student or have less specific legal experience
- Database assistant to help us migrate our file content to a new management system
- Digital project assistants who have experience with website development and social media (home based)
- PR officers to help us promote upcoming campaigns (home based).
We need volunteers who can commit for at least two days a week for at least three months. We can pay actual travel expenses of up to £10 a day.
How to apply
To ATLEU's Volunteer Co-ordinator by sending your CV with a covering letter setting out your experience, and whether you have any foreign languages.